(loose measurements, adjust to taste)
4 tablespoons oil (vegetable)
1 teaspoon garlic- finely chopped
1 tablespoon preserved turnip- chopped
1 tablespoon firm tofu- diced
(1 tablespoon dried shrimp)
10-12 medium shrimp, peeled & deveined or 1 chicken breast sliced medium thin
4 cups of rice noodles
2 cups of water
2 tablespoon roasted peanuts- ground
4 tablespoons sugar
3 tablespoons rice vinegar
3 tablespoons fish sauce
1 tablespoon paprika
1 cup fresh bean sprouts
1 stalk scallions- julienned
* specialty items: fish sauce, preserved turnip, firm tofu and rice noodles can be purchased at Duangrat’s Oriental Food Mart: 5878 Leesburg Pike, Falls Church, VA 22041
1. Heat a large pot of water until it begins to vaporize, cut heat. Soak 4 cups of dehydrated rice noodles until color turns from translucent to white, texture turns from brittle to soft, but firm (apprx. 10 minutes.) Remove from water, drain, set aside.
2. In a wok or large skillet, heat oil on high heat and quickly stir-fry protein, garlic, preserved turnip, firm tofu (and dried shrimp).
Stir-fry until protein begins to brown.
3. Add 2 cups of water, allow to boil and protein to fully cook. Add the pre-soaked noodles and continue to stir-fry until soft & moist (if dry/ sticky- add a little more water).
4. Add bean sprouts crushed peanuts, sugar, vinegar, fish sauce and paprika and stir-fry, mixing ingredients thoroughly. Once noodles lightly brown, slight char & smokiness achieved- cut off heat.
5. Scrape noodles to one side of the pan w/ spatula; break-in eggs on the empty side and beat w/ spatula tip to mix yolk & egg white. Allow egg to cook (forming a thin sheet). Quickly scoop the noodles over top of the egg sheet.
6. Use spatula to scoop from under egg sheet and flip noodles over. Remove pan from heat and place noodles on serving plate. Suggested garnishes: crushed peanuts, lime wedges, raw bean sprouts, and scallions.